When I am looking for a quick meal I love to make quiche. By having a few simple ingredients on hand, such as eggs, cheese and frozen pie shells, one can quickly whip up a quiche. I add a variety of other ingredients to give it some Portuguese flair .
Here is my recipe for a Toucinho (smoked bacon) Broccoli Quiche that can easily be turned into a Spinach Chourico Quiche by just changing up two of the ingredients.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 2 inch cube of Portuguese Toucinho (smoked bacon) thinly sliced
- 1 sliced small red pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen or fresh broccoli spears
- 3 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, assorted)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Thaw pie crust as directed in package.
- Add olive oil to a skillet; add diced onion and bacon, sauté until golden.
- Add red peppers, mushrooms and broccoli. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring often. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs, milk and salt and whisk until well combined.
- Mix in shredded cheese then add in the vegetable mixture.
- Pour into pie shell and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees, reduce temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set.
- If crust is browning too quickly cover sides with foil.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before slicing.
- For Spinach Chourico Quiche, substitute the bacon with Chourico and the broccoli with Spinach.
Hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does,