I love Caldeirada…Fish Stew!
And I love squid…so this dish is definitely one of my favourites.
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 medium potatoes
- 800 grams of Squid (approximately 4 small)
- 400 grams of Conger (2 slices) if not available substitute with another type of white fish
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1/2 cup of puree tomatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Clean and slice squid.
- Slice onion, green pepper, tomatoes and potatoes.
- Drizzle olive oil over bottom of medium size pan.
- Begin to layer 1/4 of onion, peppers, tomatoes and potato slices.
- Followed by squid slices.
- Add another layer of onion, peppers, tomato and potato slices.
- Chop Conger slices into quarters and add half to dish.
- Continue to layer onions, peppers, tomato and potato slices.
- Add another layer of squid followed by the remaining slices of vegetables and Conger.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, oregano, garlic, tomato puree and drizzle with olive oil and 1 cup of white wine.
- Top with a bunch of chopped coriander.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, then reduce to a simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Stew is done when potatoes are cooked.
The beauty of this fish stew is that you can substitute the squid and conger for any fish you may have available. This recipe serves two very hungry people, double it or triple it for a large crowd. Don’t worry if you have left overs. It tastes just as good if not better the next day layered over sliced bread.
Linking up to: